The Legacy Project is for people who want to create a collection of vignettes that, taken together, tell a story.
A vignette is a short, evocative, impressionistic, even poetic scene. It is a moment, made up of elements that combine to startle, compel, or move the reader. It has no story line and no time passes. It gets its power from the fact that there could be more to it, but it is self-contained and needs no other elements. Much as a skilled photographer may catch a moment in time and space, a vignette captures a moment in words.
Writing a vignette is the perfect way to
• capture a memory
• honor a mysterious heirloom
• open a window on a forgotten time
• respectfully share an absurdity
Because they are short, they are fun to play with. Once you get the hang of them, it is hard to stop. You will begin to see vignettes everywhere.
The Legacy Project is a collection of vignettes that tell a story. This is a perfect project for
• leaving a record of an interesting time
• writing family history
• painting a word picture of a location
• keeping a travel journal
• involving an audience on an emotional level
• telling a story in a non-linear way
One of the beauties of vignettes is they let you unleash your imagination (we will learn about that). Also they are short, which isn’t necessarily an advantage but does make them easier to manage than a longform project.
Over six weeks, you will
• learn about the nature of vignettes and how they appear in literature
• explore the creative opportunities of vignettes
• choose a theme
• write as many as five vignettes of your own
What You Get
• weekly assignments
• supplementary material
• customized coaching
• access to private group for questions
• weekly group coaching calls
• participation in group readings (optional)
The class is set up for asynchronous learning. It may be begun at any time.
Files laid out for printing $150 (optional add-on)
Seriously, you should make yourself a cappuccino when you start writing because who doesn’t miss writing in a café?